With the visit of Queen Victoria's grandson, Prince Alfred, to Toronto, Detective Murdoch and Constable Crabtree are put in charge of security. The Prince is a bon vivant who is particularly fond of parties and pretty girls but his aide, David Jennings, is hard-nosed and demanding. When the police find a dead girl in the park, her tattoos reveal that she may have been a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood and there may, in fact, be a plot against the Prince. Murdoch also runs into to an old friend from their days at the seminary who may, or may not, have Republican sympathies as well.
- William Murdoch attended the Jesuit School for Boys in Nova Scotia.
- Murdoch was a boxer who got into frequent trouble along with his firend Eddie.
- Murdoch and Dr. Ogden continue working well as a team, as the 'slow burn' in their relationship continues.
- This episode takes place in Toronto 1895 – the Victorian Era (1837-1901) when Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and Empress of India, rules the British Empire.
- Alfred, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, born Prince Alfred of Edinburgh (Alfred Alexander William Ernest Albert on 15 October 1874). His father was Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, second eldest son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. History does not record him ever visiting Canada.
- The Cardan Grille Cipher was first proposed by Girolamo Cardano in 1550.
- One of the items on the Prince's itinerary is a concert at Massey Hall.
- The series first use of the expression "Toronto the Good," which is said by Jennings.
- Chris Gascoyne, who plays David Jennings, playedPeter Barlow on the soap Coronation Street; Thomas Craig similarly starred in Coronation Street.
- When viewing this episode, it may run only to the scene (close-up on Murdoch) before the very last scene (Julia and William, see photo below) because there is a blackout transition between the two shots that goes on a few seconds longer than typical which causes auto-play/record to cut-off. In general, if the final scene does not immediately fade to the end credit music with production credits it's been truncated.
Chris Gascoyne as David Jennings
Vincent Walsh as Eddie Cullen
Robyn Thaler Hickey as Maggie Gilpatrick
Michael Hanrahan as Daniel Gilpatrick
Amber Cull as Ann Ryan
Kenneth Delaney as John Tucker
Melissa Kramer as Dancing Girl
Ashleigh Hubbard as Dancing Girl
- Queen Victoria
- Irish Republican Brotherhood
- Queen's Hotel
- Father O'Brien
- Cardan Grille Cipher
- Abigail Cullen
- Katie Cullen
- Queen's Park
- Toronto Gazette
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 1|
|"Power" • "The Glass Ceiling" • "The Knockdown" • "Elementary, My Dear Murdoch" • "'Til Death Do Us Part" • "Let Loose the Dogs" • "Body Double" • "Still Waters" • "Belly Speaker" • "Child's Play" • "Bad Medicine" • "The Prince and the Rebel" • "The Annoying Red Planet"|
Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7• Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10