|Air date||February 3, 2008|
|Written by||Alexandra Zarowny|
|Directed by||Shawn Thompson|
|Guest Stars|| Phillip Jarrett as Ozzie Beers|
Frank Moore as Jeb Cutler
|Recurring||Lachlan Murdoch as Constable Higgins|
|Previous||The Glass Ceiling|
|Next||Elementary, My Dear Murdoch|
A professional boxer from out of town defeats the local champion when he was supposed to lose. Hours later, he lies dead in his hotel room and his wife stands over him in a blood soaked dress with a gun in her hand.
The wife is the obvious suspect, but a local businessman, Jeb Cutler, has lost a lot of money on the fight. Cutler tells William Murdoch that he and the fighter's manager, Ozzie Beers, had agreed to the manager "selling" the fighter. The fighter refused to go along with the deal and the manager wanted to move to California with the boxer's wife.
The manager confesses to having shot the fighter but claims self defense. The evidence, however, supports premeditation.
- Julia explain’s Darwin’s sexual selection to the Detective as their own attraction for another simmers just below the surface.
- This episode takes place in Toronto 1895 – the Victorian Era (1837-1901) when Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and Empress of India, rules the British Empire.
- The fireworks on the night of the murder commemorate Queen Victoria's 76th birthday, placing this episode in the days around May 24, 1895 (Queen Victoria was born May 24 1819).
- Darwin’s findings in relation to sexual selection were published in his book The Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex in 1871.
- In his first interview with Cutler, the boxing promoter, it is learned that Det. Murdoch makes around C$400 a year, "give or take".
- "Me Ol' Mucker" Count: 1
Phillip Jarrett as Ozzie Beers
Frank Moore as Jeb Cutler
Andrew Hinkson as Amos Robinson
Mariah Inger as Fannie Robinson
Mike Turner as Bob Sullivan
MJ Colburn as Margaret Cutler
Scott Anderson as Desk Clerk
Daniel Matmor as Newsman Louis
- Toronto Gazette
- Prince Albert Hotel
- Queen Victoria
- Newton's Third Law of Motion
- Mockingbird Tavern
- Station House Four
- City Morgue
- Charles Darwin
- Grand Trunk Railway
- San Francisco
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 1|
| "Power" • "The Glass Ceiling" • "The Knockdown" • "Elementary, My Dear Murdoch" • "'Til Death Do Us Part" • "Let Loose the Dogs" • "Body Double" • "Still Waters" • "Belly Speaker" • "Child's Play" • "Bad Medicine" • "The Prince and the Rebel" • "The Annoying Red Planet"|
Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7• Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10