|"The Devil Inside"|
|Air date||January 9, 2017|
|Written by||Paul Aitken|
|Directed by||Eleanore Lindo|
|Next||A Murdog Mystery|
"The Devil Inside" is the tenth episode of the tenth season of the Murdoch Mysteries and the one hundred forty-second of the series (not including the stand-alone Christmas special). It first aired on January 9, 2017.
Murdoch and Ogden contend with a killer who claims he's possessed by the devil, a psychotic nemesis reaching out from beyond the grave in a deadly game of revenge!
- Questions about Gillies being alive or dead are answered and resolved, finally.
- For the first time, Murdoch takes a page from Brackenreid's handbook of interrogation.
- Crabtree is called "...that cheerful Chipmunk you worked with..."
- When James Gillies' jumped off the bridge (ep.709) he smashed his face on one rock and crushed his spine on another, driving bone shards into his vertebral nerves keeping him in agonizing pain.
- Julia's phonograph (repaired by William last Christmas) is back in the City Morgue.
- The second time this season Ogden is being "haunted" from beyond the grave by a past nemesis – this time, it's James Gillies.
- To convince Julia, Gillies repeats to her, "Because I'm not done with you yet." (ep.709)
- Flashbacks to Big Murderer on Campus, Murdoch in Toyland, Crime and Punishment, The Murdoch Trap, A Midnight Train to Kingston, Kung Fu Crabtree.
- To convince William, Gillies repeat to him, "We are going to have so much fun!" (ep.613)
- Gillian James (a.k.a. James Gillies) special ordered a scaled-down version of Fessenden's electrolytic detector.
- Murdoch is pushed to the brink by his arch-enemy's quest for the ultimate revenge.
- Windsor House Hotel is once again the scene of a crime.
- Veronica Bowden receives yet another doll with a message for Murdoch (ep.511).
- Gillies wants his life to be "taken by the object of his admiration and ardour," referencing the kiss on the bridge (ep.709) and confirming its meaning.
- Julia's phonograph plays "After the Ball" as Dr. Ogden performs her autopsy on Gillies, her wish fulfilled to have Gillies' "brain removed," believing he "may have some physical abnormality" that caused him to become what he was. (ep.709)
- Reginald Aubrey Fessenden (1866 - 1932) was a Canadian inventor who performed pioneering experiments in radio, including the use of continuous waves and the early—and possibly the first—radio transmissions of voice and music.
- Rubber bullets(used today in riot control) are part of a long line of development of non-lethal cartridges that dates back to the use of short sections of broom handle fired at rioters in 1880s.
- Hanging was the only method of execution used in Canada and was in use as possible punishment for all murders until 1961, when murders were reclassified into capital and non-capital offences. The death penalty was restricted to apply only for certain offenses in the National Defence Act in 1976 and was completely abolished in 1998. The last hangings in Canada took place on 11 December 1962.
- After the Ball is a popular song written in 1891 by Charles K. Harris. The song is a classic waltz in 3/4 time.
- This episode includes writer and director credits for excerpts, "flashbacks", used from previous episodes:
- This episode is about the skill of the editing team, lighting, SFX and music.
- The episode was filmed in part on Walton Street in Port Hope, Ontario.
- This episode first aired after the CBC's holiday special Once Upon a Murdoch Christmas.
- Only appearing in flashbacks, this is the fifth episode in Season 10 that Thomas Craig (Inspector Brackenreid) does not appear and the second one for Jonny Harris as Constable George Crabtree.
- Dr. Grace, Professor Albert Godfrey, and Robert Perry make flashback appearances as well.
- Actress Veronica Denson (Veronica Bowden) is Showrunner Peter Mitchell's daughter.
- There is a reference to Twin Peaks in Foley's dialogue during the first interrogation scene, when he says "I mean it like it is, and it sounds." Mike in Twin Peaks season 1 episode 3 says the same line, and adds "I too have been touched by the devilish one" after.
- The title The Devil Inside is also a 2012 American supernatural horror film directed by William Brent Bell, and written by Bell and Matthew Peterman.
Lachlan Murdoch as Constable Henry Higgins
Mouna Traoré as Rebecca James
Michael Seater as James Gillies
Veronica Denson as Veronica Bowden
Georgina Reilly as Emily Grace
Marc Bendavid as Robert Perry
Ted Atherton as Professor Godfrey
Sarah Manninen as Verna Bowden
David Schurmann as Judge Matthews
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 10|
|Great Balls of Fire, Part 1 • Great Balls of Fire, Part 2 • A Study in Pink • Concocting A Killer • Jagged Little Pill • Bend It Like Brackenreid • Painted Ladies • Weekend at Murdoch's • Excitable Chap • The Devil Inside • A Murdog Mystery • The Missing • Mr. Murdoch's Neighbourhood • From Murdoch to Eternity • Hades Hath No Fury • Master Lovecraft • Hot Wheels of Thunder • Hell to Pay • |
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7 • Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10 • Season 11 • Season 12