Augustus "Gus" Jackson first appears in Season 5 as Constable "Slugger" Jackson working for Station House Five who participates in the Toronto Constabulary baseball competition, played by Kristian Bruun.
First considered to be a drunkard and a lout but a great baseball player, he is used as a pawn by the Station House Inspectors in an elaborate web of deceit, whereupon it is revealed that he is a lovable chap. Inspector Brackenreid offers him a spot at Station House Four.
By Season 6, Jackson becomes a reoccurring character.
In Season 9 and 10, it is revealed that he loves Christmas and comes from a large family who celebrates Christmas in a big way: "We open our presents one by one. Given that there are eleven of us in the family, it does take some time, so we draw lots to see who gets to pick the first one. That takes up the first part of the morning...After we open all the presents, the entire family goes for a winter walk. Of course, it won't be the same without snow. And upon our return, we all break into my sister's fantastic plum pudding."
It is revealed that he was married: After closing the office door, he confides in Det. Watts, "Two years ago, I lost my wife. She passed away in my arms." (ep.1012)
In the Season 11 premiere Up From Ashes, it is revealed that Jackson was indeed killed in the ambush at the church. He is buried under the witness of Detective Murdoch and Detective Watts and is given a tribute at Station House No. 4 by George, Henry and Inspector Brackenreid at the end. At the top of Merlot Mysteries when the Station House gets back to normal without Jackson, George shares with Murdoch, "sir,...I think he died doing something that he loved, serving a cause that he believed in, a cause that you and I continue to serve. I think he would have wanted that."
Appearances and Mentions
- Jackson was on patrol when he spots Winston Churchill and his friend running from an Irish mob. He promptly arrests them for singing "Rule Britannia" and thus provoking the mob; He later releases them after the bars closed with a warning against singing again.
Murdoch and the Cloud of Doom
Crime and Punishment
The Murdoch Trap
Republic of Murdoch
A Midnight Train to Kingston
Journey to the Centre of Toronto
Friday the 13th, 1901
Kung Fu Crabtree
Blast of Silence
The Death of Dr. Ogden
On the Waterfront Part 1
On the Waterfront Part 2
Murdoch Takes Manhattan
The Murdoch Appreciation Society
The Local Option
Raised On Robbery
Cometh the Archer
A Murdog Mystery
Mr. Murdoch's Neighbourhood
Hades Hath No Fury
Hell to Pay
Up From Ashes
Merlot Mysteries (Mention)
The Book of Jackson (Web Series)
- Called "Kris" by his friends and colleagues, Kristian Bruun's full name is Charles Kristian Bonnycastle Bruun.
- While Kristian Bruun relishes being the one to provide comedic interludes with Constables Crabtree and Higgins, he would love to do a spin-off in the style of the Keystone Cops with the other constables, “We would do everything but catch a murderer – there’d be a whole lot of slapstick comedy!”
- Bruun claims he can really sing, unlike Constable Jackson.
- Remembering Constable Jackson link, cast of Murdoch Mysteries say goodbye to Constable “Slugger” Jackson and reflect on what star Kristian Bruun brought to the role.