|Seen||Weekend at Murdoch's|
A Murdog Mystery
Home for the Holidays
|Relationships||Roger Newsome, brother (deceased)|
Rupert Newsome, brother
Henry Higgins, husband
Herbert Wilson, ex-fiancé
- 1 Character Arc
- 2 Season 10
- 3 Season 11
- 4 Season 12
- 5 Season 13
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
In Season 11, Ruth is caught by surprise that Henry Higgins does care for her. In return, Henry along with George and the Inspector are equally surprised that Ruth might come off as a lightweight socialite but in reality she’s definitely savvier than she lets on!
- Roger Newsome introduces his sister to Constables George Crabtree and Henry Higgins in hopes of matching her with George, but Henry catches her eye instead. When informed of her brother's death, Henry is the one who asks her if they can 'bring Roger back to life' in order to catch his killer. Somewhat confused, she agrees because she thinks they're going to bring Roger back from the dead. At the end of the episode at Roger's memorial, she tries to kiss Henry, but he clearly doesn't feel the same.
- As a member of the Toronto Canine Competitive Society, Ruth Newsome is the owner of a very distinguished American Staffordshire Terrier, Roger– named after her late brother.
- Ruth returns in this episode as a guest at the dinner, and reveals to Henry that she is engaged to Herbert Wilson, claiming she's overjoyed with the engagement. But after he is revealed to be the murderer, Herbert tells Ruth that he would never marry someone 'as boring and vacuous' as her. After Henry punches Herbert, he shares a deep and meaningful kiss with Ruth, one she is most pleased about.
- Ruth walks into the station and sees the portrait of Nina - and wants one of herself.
- At the end of the episode, Ruth arrives at the station late in the evening to have her portrait painted by Inspector Brackenreid, only to discover he already has a model to paint for the evening.
- Ruth Newsome reveals a handful of surprises about herself and her family:
- Her family has a ski chalet in Vermont, along their factories and other holdings.
- Knowledge and the execution of an age-old bunco scheme: to rob Peter to pay Paul.
- The Mimico Newsomes' wealth was not built entirely on mills and railroads.
- Her father had the idea of making crystal clear cola, thus she has a factory.
- Ruth's middle name, Alfreda, is revealed when Henry proposes to her.
- Ruth is proposed to by Henry Higgins but as he does the body of Josephine falls from the church and Ruth suffers from PTSD and stays away from Henry for a while as a result. Both are heartbroken and when they meet up for the first time after the failed proposal, Ruth herself proposes to Henry and he exclaims with a hearty "YES!"
- Ruth and Nina Bloom have become good friends.
- Miss Newsome goes shopping at Eaton's with Mrs. Brackenreid.
- Ruth Newsome turns matchmaker as she is determined to find George the "woman of your dreams" for he can not possibly attend the wedding without a woman on his arm.
- Ruth Alfreda Newsome and Henry Hieronymus Higgins get married – eventually, after three murder attempts on the groom and the Mimico Newsomes losing their vast family fortune.
Brother's Keeper (Mention)
- The Higgins-Newsomes are living in penury.
- Ruth pleads to Dr. Ogden to train her to be a nurse in hopes of helping her husband, Henry, pay the bills. Ogden tries to explain that she is trained to be nursing instructor.
- Higgins tells George, "Ruthie doesn't want to trouble herself with the bother of voting. She thinks it's nothing but a load of fiddle-faddle."
Bad Pennies (mention)