"On the Waterfront Part 1" is the first episode of the eighth season of the Murdoch Mysteries and the ninety-seventh episode of the series.
Det. Murdoch investigates the murder of Richard Dawkins who was beaten to death at the dinner table by two masked men just as he was about to make an important announcement to his business associates. Since nothing was stolen Murdoch's new boss, Inspector Hamish Slorach, calls the killing an assassination.
Dawkins was rumored to be selling his chandlery business. The harbor master says Dawkins was anything but a saint and the police should look to the seedier side for a solution to his death. Const. Jackson is badly beaten by two thugs which seems to confirm Murdoch's suspicion that the men who beat Inspector Brackenreid are the same ones who killed Dawkins. When they find a dead woman on the shore, Dr. Grace determines she was clubbed to death the night before the attack on Dawkins and was manacled before she died.
Meanwhile, suffragettes recruit Julia to their movement and she is joined by Emily Grace. Receiving little support politically, they decide to hold a protest march. They are all soon in jail.
- Dr. Grace and Dr. Ogden join the suffragette movement.
- Inspector Brackenreid takes up gardening and paintings while convalescing at from the near fatal beating.
- Leslie Garland has become a prosecutor.
- Leslie Garland still has animosity against Dr. Grace and Dr. Ogden after the events of Kung Fu Crabtree.
- Margaret Haile became the first woman to run for legislative office in Canada when she was nominated on the platform of the Canadian Socialist League as a candidate for Toronto North in the 1902 Ontario provincial election.
- The second official pairing of episodes with part 1 and 2 in their titles
- This episode has a violence warning at the beginning of the episode
- Shares its title with a movie from 1954
Lachlan Murdoch as Henry Higgins
Kristian Bruun as Constable Slugger Jackson
Arwen Humphreys as Margaret Brackenreid
Patrick McKenna as Hamish Slorach
Jonathan Llyr as Mick O'Shea
Nick Nolan as Tim O'Shea
Nicole Underhay as Margaret Haile
Trenna Keating as Kathleen King
Jo Joyner as Cecily McKinnon
Percy Hynes-White as Simon Brooks
Chadwick Allen as Lead Dock Worker
Jarrod MacLean as Richard Dawkins
Tracey Ferencz Mrs Dawkins
Murray Furrow as Lionel Jeffries
Caleb Cosman as Arthur Blake
Danielle Benton as Brenda Blake
Annie Briggs as Eileen
Peter Deiwick as Eileen's husband
Paul Miller as MPP Eldon Joseph Foster
Patrick Creery as Crown Prosecutor
Glen MacDonald as Defense Attorney
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 8|
|"On the Waterfront Part 1" • "On the Waterfront Part 2" • "Glory Days" • "Holy Matrimony, Murdoch!" • "Murdoch Takes Manhattan" • "The Murdoch Appreciation Society (episode)" • "What Lies Buried" • "High Voltage" • "The Keystone Constables" • "Murdoch and the Temple of Death" • "All That Glitters" • "The Devil Wears Whalebone" • "The Incurables" • "Shipwreck" • "Crabtree Mania" • "Toronto's Girl Problem" • "Election Day" • "Artful Detective" • |
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • eason 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7 • Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10