Murdoch Without Borders
Darkness Before the Dawn Part 1
Darkness Before the Dawn Part 2
The Killing Dose
Nurse Kate Sullivan is a nurse anesthesiologist at University of Toronto School of Medicine's affiliate Toronto Mercy Hospital, introduced in Season 12 of Murdoch Mysteries, portrayed by Stephanie Belding.
Appearances and Mentions
- Nurse Sullivan and the new surgeon-in-residency Dr. Ogden do not get off on good footing at the Toronto Mercy Hospital.
- After the death of Mrs. Quigley, Dr. Ogden questions Nurse Sullivan who points out the Lancet Medical Journal has shown that chloroform is nine times more likely to cause death than ether and assures Dr. Ogden, “We use ether,” adding that the splenectomy was not Mrs. Quigley's first operation, as the doctor may have noticed from her chart. Since Nurse Sullivan had previously given her ether, she knew the patient would tolerate it well – until the tear in her diaphragm.
- Dr. Ogden asks her if she believes that the tear caused her death. “I don't believe it was the anaesthetic. If you're looking to blame a nurse, I suggest you tread carefully. You'll find that sort of thing doesn't go over well around here,” warns Nurse Sullivan.
- Upon being questioned by Detective Murdoch about six post-operative deaths of interest, Nurse Sullivan points out, "I am the best anaesthetic nurse in the department. Dr. Forbes often requests me", and those six deaths in a department that loses a hundred patients a year is not statistically relevant. But then, to Dr. Ogden's surprise, Nurse Sullivan asks them, what if Mrs. Quigley's death was the anomaly? Might the pattern be patients who died before they went to surgery instead. Nurse Sullivan leads them to the charts of such patients, including deaths identified as asphyxiation or heart failure.
- Nurse Sullivan has been instructed not to treat Mr. Czarnecki. She tells Dr. Ogden, "By the government, something about the new immigration laws".
- Nurse Sullivan's first name is revealed to be Kate.
- Kate knows the critically injured fall victim Jane Cooper, both women volunteer at The Haven, a women's home.
- Later, Dr. Ogden instructs Nurse Sullivan to increase the morphine as her friend Jane will not regain consciousness and is suffering increased pain.
- When Kate asks Julia if anything more can be done to give Jane relief, the good doctor reminds the nurse that they have given her "as much morphine as we can. It's time to stop being her nurse and be her friend."
- Actress Stephanie Belding first appeared in Murdoch On The Corner as Jean Palmerson, now recast as the recurring character Nurse Sullivan in Season 12.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.