While attending Buffalo Bill's Western Extravaganza, Det. Murdoch, Insp. Brackenreid, Constable Crabtree and Dr. Ogden witness a killing when a stunt apparently goes bad.
The stunt involved one legendary wild west gunman shooting the other who catches the bullet in his teeth. It's all trickery of course and he's not supposed to be shot for real. Murdoch determines that the man was actually shot by someone with a rifle. When the second member of the stunt team is also killed, Murdoch starts looking into their past to find a solution to the crime. A horse hair provides the vital clue.
Inspector Brackenreid's wife, Margaret, has joined the Temperance League and he has promised to give up drink. An encounter with the flirtatious Annie Oakley puts an end to that.
Suspicion falls on a number of people, including Buffalo Bill and Annie Oakley. The killer is found to be a young man whose father was murdered by the two partners.
- Murdoch once worked as a ranch hand.
- Murdoch's "murder bag" is mentioned (ep104).
- Murdoch knows the Bible well, chapter and verse, when one of the suspects quotes from it (Proverbs 16:18).
- Mrs. Brackenreid has joined The Temperance League in an affect to get the Inspector to stop drinking. This will be the issue of contention between the Brackenreids for episodes to come.
- This episode takes place in Toronto 1896 – Victoria (Alexandrina Victoria 1819- 1901) is Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, and Empress of India.
- Annie Oakley really was part of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show.
- There is an allusion to the Wizard of Oz, when Murdoch says "We're not in Kansas anymore."
- Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, including Annie Oakley, did come to Toronto; However, it was in August 1885.
- Tom Kerr, son of the legendary horse trainer and western showman Bobby Kerr, assisted with the wrangling on this episode.
- Like Murdoch, Yannick Bisson worked as a ranch hand.
- Bisson actually roped the villian from his horse at the end in one shot.
- This episode is one of Bisson's favorite episodes.
- Buffalo Bill Cody (1846 - 1917) and Wild Bill Hickock (1837-1876) are two different men. While the story is about Buffalo Bill Cody, the credits list him as Wild Bill Hickock.
- When Murdoch is in the morgue talking over the dead body, the body's eyes blink.
Nicholas Campbell as Wild Bill Hickock
Sarah Strange as Annie Oakley
Simon Northwood as Teddy Jones Sr.
Ben Lewis as Teddy Jones Jr.
Bill Yak as Jaws McRawlins
Michael Copeman as Lightning Wilcox
Clinton Walker as Announcer
Maurice Dean Wint as John Warton
John Paul Ruttan as Young Teddy Jr
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 2|
|Mild Mild West • Snakes and Ladders • Dinosaur Fever • Houdini Whodunit • The Green Muse • Shades of Grey • Big Murderer on Campus • I, Murdoch • Convalescence • Murdoch.com • Let Us Ask the Maiden • Werewolves • Anything You Can Do...|
Season 1 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7• Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10