- You may also be looking for the book of the same name
|"Let Loose the Dogs"|
|Air date||February 24, 2008|
|Written by|| Jean Greig|
|Directed by||Don McBrearty|
|Recurring||Stephen McHattie as Harry Murdoch|
|Previous||'Til Death Do Us Part|
Harry Murdoch is drunk and betting on Rat-baiting; he loses. A short time later, the man who running the betting operation is found dead and Harry is lying drunk nearby. Murdoch is quick to believe his father guilty.
As the investigation progresses, Murdoch is extremely dependent on the memories of a young man who, at the time, was thought of as an idiot savant (now savant syndrome). The young man, the son of the victim, is looked after by the wife of the kennel keeper and despised by his father.
Murdoch concludes that the victim had attacked the woman and, in a rage, the savant killed his father.
After Harry Murdoch is released, he and his son talk and Harry explains that he was—and is—a drunk but that he had never hit William or his mother. Harry says he is heading west.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Stephen McHattie as Harry Murdoch.
- Murdoch's mother died by drowning after suffering a concussion (also see ep.706)
- Murdoch was taken in by nuns after his mother died.
- Murdoch blamed his father for his mother's death for years.
- Dr. Ogden suggests to Murdoch that his father deserves the same process he gives other cases as even the evidence doesn't suggest his father was the culprit but Murdoch even shuts her out for the first time.
- William apologies to Julia for his distracted and rude behavior.
- By the end of the episode, they go for a walk on Toronto Island together.
- Murdoch introduces Julia Ogden to a chemical test to determine that a blood sample is human.
- Discounting the Films, this is the only episode to be based directly on one of Maureen Jennings' Murdoch novels, Let Loose the Dogs.
- "Me Ol' Mucker" Count: 1
Dylan Taylor as Phillip Delaney
Lindsey Connell as Jess Lacey
Shane Daly as Vincent Newcombe
Michael Rhoades as John Delaney
Billy MacLellan as Walter Lacey
Taryn Ash as Murdoch's Mother
Jacob Robert Ewaniuk as Young Murdoch
Christopher Dyson as Constable
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 1|
| "Power" • "The Glass Ceiling" • "The Knockdown" • "Elementary, My Dear Murdoch" • "'Til Death Do Us Part" • "Let Loose the Dogs" • "Body Double" • "Still Waters" • "Belly Speaker" • "Child's Play" • "Bad Medicine" • "The Prince and the Rebel" • "The Annoying Red Planet"|
Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7• Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10