|Actor|| John Fleming (Season 1) |
Charles Vandervaart (Season 6-10)
|Seen|| The Glass Ceiling|
Murdoch and the Cloud of Doom
Republic of Murdoch
Murdoch and the Temple of Death
The Local Option
Bend It Like Brackenreid
The Canadian Patient
Dr. Osler Regrets
21 Murdoch Street
Drowning in Money
Secrets and Lies
Pirates of the Great Lakes
|Mentioned||From Murdoch to Eternity|
|Relationships|| Thomas Brackenreid, father|
Margaret Brackenreid, mother
Bobby Brackenreid, younger brother
Charlie Brackenreid, cousin
Early Years - Season 1 - 9
- John is revealed to share his father's love of the arts. This makes his father suspicious that he may be gay, and Thomas gets Julia to talk with him, and it is clear he isn't gay, and John even gets in a fight to prove it to his father, who says he will accept him no matter what.
- John gets drunk for the first time.
- John learns from his Dad that "There's only one kind of Brackenreid - one that speaks his mind."
From Murdoch to Eternity (mentioned)
- Margaret tests the younger-looking Brackenreid: "Where were you when John was born?"
- Thomas was trapped in the Station House under three feet of snow. But when he heard the news, he dug his way out with a latrine bucket. He was by her side before the midwife handed John back to Margaret.
- John returns in this episode, and has joined Station Four as a constable in training, much to his mothers distress. Thomas swears he will dissuade him, but John doesn't back down, and proves his worth to his father as a copper, following his every order. George asks him why he wants to be a constable, and John replies that "it's the most honourable job I know."
- John is joined by his father on his beat with Higgins, and ends up giving chase to a thief before sending him tumbling to the ground and arresting him.
- Two boys go missing at a boys school. When the boys at the school won't talk to the police, Murdoch sends John undercover as John Simpson, son of Thomas Simpson the whisky brewer. Though his father doesn't approve of this, he eventually goes along with it. Soon after, John and George uncover an illegal gambling ring, and more shockingly- human remains. John sets out to prove himself as a constable by finding who did it. When his gambit to get his suspect Walter Moore's shoes doesn't get him the needed evidence, George reassures him, "Detective Murdoch would say this as would your father, in this line of work, you're wrong until you're right.”
- Constable John Brackenreid is directing traffic on the morning of a major traffic accident which throws him onto the street and in the midst of a sinister use of a motorcar as the murder weapon.
- John decides to follow his father to St. Mary's, and promptly finds out about his half sister, Nomi Johnston. Although John had disobeyed orders, his presence at St. Mary's turns out to be invaluable to finding out where Nomi went.
- With George accompaying him, John helps transport an axe murderer, who later escapes. John starts to believe that she may be innocent, and there may be something in what he's saying that's worth listening to.