Murdoch Without Borders
Sins of the Father
The Killing Dose
Things Left Behind
|Job||Doctor of Medicine|
Dr. Forbes is the attending staff physician at the University of Toronto School of Medicine and Dr. Ogden’s supervising Chief Surgeon during her residency at Toronto Mercy Hospital, introduced in Season 12 of Murdoch Mysteries, portrayed by James McGowan.
Appearances and Mentions
- Dr. Forbes, head of surgeon of Toronto Mercy Hospital, tells Dr. Ogden, "...it is my responsibility to ask you: are you a coroner or are you a surgeon?" after she had sent Mrs. Quigley's body to the City Morgue, meeting her responsibility as City Coroner, which resulted in Martin Quigley threatening to sue the hospital and him personally.
- At the Toronto Mercy Hospital, when Dr. Ogden asks Dr. Forbes why they are not treating Jakub Czarnecki whose leg may need to be amputated to save his life, she is informed that "If he were a patient, we might be able to do something; but all we can do is keep him comfortable until they come for him." Ogden asks if he has committed a crime to which Forbes replies, "Apparently his wound qualifies him as a burden on the country, which is enough to deport him. That's all I've been told".
- Dr. Forbes does not take offence when Dr. Ogden argues that, "And I am as accomplished as any man in this hospital," immediately correcting herself, "Well, not any man."
- As Chief Surgeon, Dr. Forbes honors the patient's request and informs Dr. Ogden that his decision has been made; He have already briefed Doctor Dixon on Mr. Fitzgerald's condition and he will be performing the operation.
- Dr. Forbes instructs her to stay away from the patient.
- Dr. Ogden shares with Dr. Forbes that she had hoped when the cerebral swelling reduced, there would be some brain response. Examining Jane Cooper's records, the Chief Surgeon states, "It's only deteriorated." While it is tragic to see all this damage in a woman so young, there are no additional measures he can recommend, "You are doing everything you can."
- Disappointing Dr. Ogden with no prognosis for a recovery, Dr. Forbes turns to her, "I know you do not readily accept the limitations of our profession, Dr. Ogden. It is one of the qualities that makes you a good physician." There are no experimental treatments and it is time for the good Doctor "to prepare the family for the likelihood that Miss Cooper won't survive," he places a gentle hand on her shoulder before leaving Dr. Ogden alone with her dying patient.
- Dr. Forbes has a proposition for Dr. Ogden and Dr. Dixon: He has been asked to organize a surgery seminar at the London Medical College and asks the two doctors to lead it as he doesn't "have the privilege of leaving the hospital for a week", adding that it is a great opportunity.
- Dr. Ogden expresses her concern being a female instructor, "I fear the students may be displeased." Dr. Forbes reassures her, "Let them be. Dr. Dixon can keep them in line if necessary. This may be a new frontier for a female surgeon...You two are the future of medicine in this city – in this country. And it's better to look to the future than the past."