Detective Murdoch investigates the murder of Julia Ogden's husband, Dr. Darcy Garland who is found on his living room floor with a bullet through the head. No murder weapon can be found and there is no sign of forced entry. His housekeeper, a somewhat hostile Mrs. Weller, confirms that Garland kept a gun in the house. She also says she had been given the day off by Julia who, according to the neighbor Mrs. Smythe, arrived a short while later. When Julia returns to town, claiming to having helped an abused woman, Penelope Erwin, escape her husband Desmond, Murdoch attempts to track both people down but they apparently don't exist. Chief Constable Giles removes Murdoch from the case given his relationship with Julia and takes charge of it himself, Brackenreid as well when he vehemently protests. As the evidence mounts, Julia is arrested and goes on trial. Murdoch is convinced she is being framed. When Julia takes the stand, the fact that Penelope isn't present to testify for her only solidifies the prosecution's case against her. The jury ultimately finds her guilty and sentence her to hang. As she is dragged out of the courtroom, Murdoch promises to exonerate her. Then suddenly, he hears clapping behind him. He turns around and spots James Gillies, who vanishes from sight. Murdoch runs out of the courthouse to search for him but Gillies had already disappeared. He then tells Brackenreid of his sighting.
- Gillies returns with a vengeance.
- This episode takes place in Toronto 1900 – the Victorian Era (1837-1901) when Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, and Empress of India, rules the British Empire.
- In 2014, Hélène Joy (Julia Ogden) was nominated to Canadian Screen Awards - Shaw Medal for Best Performance by an Actress in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role for her performance in this episode.
- Filmed at Victoria Park Square and Carnegie Building, Brantford, Ontario.
- Ontario Court of Justice courtrooms might display the Royal Coat of Arms or the Arms of Canada with the Shield of Arms that was granted to Ontario by Queen Victoria in 1868. The historic courtroom at Old City Hall in Toronto, and most other pre-1931 Ontario courtrooms displayed the ‘Royal Arms of the Monarchs of England’, with the English ‘Lion’ and the Scottish ‘Unicorn’ supporting a shield with a Royal Crown above it.
Lachlan Murdoch as Henry Higgins
Kristian Bruun as Slugger Jackson
Jonathan Watton as Darcy Garland
Nigel Bennett as Chief Constable Giles
Michael Seater as James Gillies
Mary Krohnert as Melanie Shropshire
Neil Crone as Crown Attorney Gordon
Sten Eirik as Dr. Daniel Clark
James Conway as Defense Attorney
David Schurmann as Judge Matthews
Melee Hutton as Mrs. Weller
Laura De Carteret as Mrs. Smythe
Mark Gibson as Jury Foreman
Joey Parro as Brewery Foreman
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 6|
|"Murdoch Air" • "Winston's Lost Night" • "Murdoch On The Corner" • "A Study in Sherlock" • "Murdoch Au Naturel" • "Murdoch and the Cloud of Doom" • "The Ghost of Queen's Park" • "Murdoch in Ladies Wear" • "Victoria Cross" • "Twisted Sisters" • "Lovers in a Murderous Time" • "Crime and Punishment" • "The Murdoch Trap"|
Web Series: Nightmare on Queen Street
Season 1 • Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • eason 5 • Season 6 • Season 7 • Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10