|Air date||March 23, 2008|
|Written by||Alexandra Zarowny|
|Directed by||Shawn Thompson|
|Recurring||Lachlan Murdoch as Henry Higgins|
The police investigate the murder of Howard Rookwood, a well-known Toronto industrialist and philanthropist who was struck on the head just outside of his house. Rookwood was an active supporter of Baker House, a home that specializes in relocating underprivileged children from England to Canada and where his own daughter was adopted from. As Detective Murdoch examines the forensic evidence, he and Doctor Ogden conclude that a child, or children, may be the culprit. The true motivation and solution to the crime however is far darker.
- Murdoch and Ogden enjoy working as a team to solve the case, making good partners in crime solving.
- Exporting child labor from England to the colonies is a plot element.
- The Barnardo Homes for homeless or destitute English children were set up by Dr. Thomas Barnardo.
- This episode is unique in that there are no "Guest Star" credits. The supporting cast is only credited at the end of the episode.
- "Me Ol' Mucker" Count: 0
- The telegrapher is using the telegraph key incorrectly. Simply tapping on the key with the index finger would not give the control needed to distinguish between dots and dashes.
Daniel Fathers as Calvin Baker
Robert Dodds as Howard Rookwood
Catherine Fitch as Flora Rookwood
Richard Waugh as Peter Watt
Zoe Cleland as Eva Rookwood (Polly Dunlap)
Jesse Bostick as Charlie Dunlap
Rick Howland as Miles Gorman
|Murdoch Mysteries Season 1|
| "Power" • "The Glass Ceiling" • "The Knockdown" • "Elementary, My Dear Murdoch" • "'Til Death Do Us Part" • "Let Loose the Dogs" • "Body Double" • "Still Waters" • "Belly Speaker" • "Child's Play" • "Bad Medicine" • "The Prince and the Rebel" • "The Annoying Red Planet"|
Season 2 • Season 3 • Season 4 • Season 5 • Season 6 • Season 7• Season 8 • Season 9 • Season 10