|Chief Constable Giles|
|Seen||Murdoch in Wonderland|
Murdoch of the Klondike
Back and to the Left
War on Terror
Murdoch Night in Canada
Twentieth Century Murdoch
Murdoch and the Cloud of Doom
Crime and Punishment
The Murdoch Trap
What Lies Buried
|Relationships||Constable Finch, blackmailer |
Peter Reid, lover (ended)
Constable Hodge, close friend
|Job||Chief Constable (former)|
Appearances and Mentions
- Giles suspends Murdoch from working on the case of Darcy Garland's murder.
- Giles suspects that Murdoch released Constance Gardiner, and continues to hound him about it throughout his time as Chief Constable.
- It is revealed that Giles has a sordid past himself; he is a homosexual and was being blackmailed by the murder victim, Constable Finch (who was himself a murderer). Sadly, the man Giles was in love with, Peter Reid, turned out to be an accomplice of Finch, who had seduced Giles in order to let Finch take a compromising photograph of Giles. When Giles discovered he had been betrayed by his lover, he openly wept. Constable Hodge (who in those days had a friendship with Giles similar to Murdoch and Constable George Crabtree) accidentally killed Constable Finch while Finch (who was going to blackmail then-detective Giles) was trying to give on Giles' desk, the glass negative of the picture of Giles with Reed, by hitting him with the station mascot, an iron monkey statuette called "Nelly". Together, Giles and Hodge hid the body in the basement, which was just about to have a new concrete floor poured.
- Constable Hodge is tried for manslaughter and Giles for obstruction of justice. According to Inspector Brackenreid, " he being an admitted homosexual who buried a body, not to mention he's a copper, will more than likely do more time than Hodge," which Murdoch finds unfair.
- Part of the reason that Giles is so hell-bent on making Murdoch reveal the truth may stem from the damage that concealing his crime has done to his life and personal relationships.
- Percival Giles is in prison along with George. When a man who wanted information about George's ex-fiancee, Edna Brooks, gets stabbed, Giles helps George investigate after recognizing that he will not let it go. He advised George on the minds of the inmates, able to get a suspect for Murdoch by having the inmates bet on the most likely culprit.
- Percival Giles, who is serving his time at Kingston Penitentiary, asks Detective Murdoch to visit him for there's been a murder...
- There has been several fictional Chief Constables (Chiefs of Police), when in actuality during Murdoch Mysteries time period, the Toronto Police Department was headed by Col. H.J. Grasett, who served as Toronto's Chief Constable for 34 years from 1886 to 1920 — a record that still stands.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.